Daily Bible for 10th June - 14th June, 2014

 Tuesday June 10th, 2014

# Mt 5:13–16

You are the salt of the earth. But if salt has lost its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It has become useless. It can only be thrown away and people will trample on it.

You are the light of the world. A city built on a mountain cannot be hid den. No one lights a lamp and covers it; instead, it is put on a lamp stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, your light must shine before others, so that they may see the good you do, and praise your Father in heaven.

Reflection:

Once a precious commodity whose weight equaled the value of gold in equal quantity, salt flavors and preserves food. It cleans and is usually believed to cast away evil when flung in the air. Our being equated to salt shows the value and esteem that the Lord has for us. And like salt we are enjoined to spice up the world with holy lives, preserving the values of the Kingdom even if it goes out of fashion in this changing world, and contributing to transforming this sinful world into a civilization of love.

The second imagery that Jesus used for us is light. We are the light of the world darkened by sinful structures that block the light of God. But this light is not ours, it is the reflection of the light of Jesus in our life. The amount of light we can absorb from Him is dependent on our quality as instruments of His light.
___________________________________________________

Wednesday June 11th, 2014

Cancelling or Fulfilling – Emptiness or Plenitude 

# Matthew 5:17-19

Jesus said to his disciples: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

We Pray : Lord, sin is always tapping on my door but you have promised me that your grace will always be available. Help me to avail myself of the means of grace you give me to live in union with your eternal law. Saint Jude, make my heart only for Jesus.

Resolution : Today I will take a few moments to reflect upon the Ten Commandments or the duties of my state in life.
___________________________________________________


Thursday June 12th, 2014

Keep Your Words Short and Sweet 

# Matthew 5:20-26

Jesus said to his disciples: “For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, ´You shall not murder´; and ´whoever murders shall be liable to judgment.´ But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgment; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, ´You fool,´ you will be liable to the hell of fire. So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and offer your gift. Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are on the way to court with him, or your accuser may hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison.”

We Pray : Lord, teach me to love and help me to be a saint. You have created me and called me to the Catholic faith. Help me to live that faith generously, living the primacy of love in my daily life.Saint Jude, make my heart only for Jesus.

Resolution: Today I will do three hidden acts of charity.
___________________________________________________

Friday June 13th, 2014

A Clean Heart

# Matthew 5:27-32

Jesus said to his disciples: "You have heard that it was said, You shall not commit adultery. But I say to you, everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into Gehenna. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into Gehenna. It was also said, Whoever divorces his wife must give her a bill of divorce. But I say to you, whoever divorces his wife (unless the marriage is unlawful) causes her to commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

We Pray : Lord Jesus, I want to live with purity, and I know that this requires a strong will and a constant effort in this world that encourages instant gratification of the senses. Give me the strength in particular to guard my eyes and control my imagination. Help me to be exquisitely faithful to my spouse.

Resolution: I will promote the virtue of purity in my personal life and set a good example for others by incorporating into my lifestyle the time-tested ascetical methods that the Church has proposed to us down through the ages: frequent confession and Communion; devotion to Our Lady; a spirit of prayer and mortification; guarding of the senses; flight from occasions of sin; and striving to avoid idleness by always being engaged in doing useful things.
_____________________________________________________________

Saturday June 14th, 2014

Yes or No

# Matthew 5:33-37

Jesus said to his disciples: "You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, Do not take a false oath, but make good to the Lord all that you vow. But I say to you, do not swear at all; not by heaven, for it is God´s throne; nor by the earth, for it is his footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. Do not swear by your head, for you cannot make a single hair white or black. Let your ´Yes´ mean ´Yes,´ and your ´No´ mean ´No.´ Anything more is from the Evil One."

Reflection: Promises are made not to be broken but to be fulfilled. They are the present articulation of what we intend to do in the future. A promise usually gives additional backing to one’s words. They are resorted to when the other party has doubts and fears that need to be assuaged. But one need not make any promises if one’s intention is clear from the very beginning. Sincerity doesn’t need the backing of a sworn oath. The words spoken plainly and clearly are enough to guarantee your position. Today Jesus encourages us to make our word our bond.

We Pray : You see it all, Lord, and you read my heart. You look on in sorrow as I allow myself to play by the rules of the Evil One. Help me to re-commit myself to living in the light, doing away with all falsehood. From now on, my “yes” will be yes, and my “no” will be no.

Resolution : I will start today by seeking to patch up any relationship — especially my relationship with my spouse — which may have been harmed through a lack of truthfulness and sincerity.
________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment